Ilyushin Il-28 Beagle

Cold War Hot Summer by Brian Sampson

Having missed some of the club meetings during the early part of this year due to work commitments I kept up to date through the club magazine The Romsey Modeller. It came to my attention that we had been approached by a friend of Tangmere Aviation Museum to the effect that they were about to revamp some of there displays in our case it was to be the Cold War section. The models were to be supplied by Peter Lloyd all we had to do was to select an aircraft and build it by the November competition, not to difficult it would seem.

My choice was to be the IL-28 Beagle a twin engine jet medium bomber and being a non camouflage type gave me the excuse to use my air-brush and one of the Alclad lacquer finishes.

The kit arrived, made by Trumpeter and from what I had heard in the past it should be good.

First impressions were a box full of kit and the detail looks good so we dry run the large parts and discard items not required, which in my case would be the bomb bay and bombs plus a couple of strap-on rockets for assisted take off

On the right, stage one or major components, having reached this stage I should now point out the following, the bomb bay is closed, tabs had to be added inside for support and the cockpit didn’t locate at all well this was annoying!!!!!!

The detail you see on the engine nacelle can’t be seen so forget it. There is no detail in the rear gun mount so I added some only to find that once it is in place it disappears.

The two air splitters ( held by croc clips ) have a right way up this is not clear in the instructions, I inserted mine after gluing the engine covers together, this can be very fiddly refer to any pictures you may have at this point.

I am now going to leave this alone and dive into my PC just to see how others may have approached this kit.

My research leads to the fact that this is or was previously marketed by Bildek and possibly before that Italeri both companies produced this version and the trainer so we don’t have a full blooded Trumpeter kit on the table.

Enough research back to the build, before you get carried away (not literally) don’t forget the nose weight that’s the one not mentioned on the drawing. Beneath the nose is a bulge housing the radar you can get a small fishing weight snugly into this space then test for balance-OK good at least you now have the confidence to glue the two halves together and we mustn’t forget that those engine cowls are well forward of the centre this will also aid the forward balance.

Next we can pull all those components together, test fit and glue.

The wings were a problem as they didn’t line up with the fuselage moulding so I cut off the tongue on the wing and made it a butt fit this was also the case with the tail so I repeated the former. The cockpit, nose, and undercarriage bay’s were now filled with tissue then damped slightly this enabled me to manipulate it around the holes.

Spraying, out came Mr Halfords grey primer, one coat was enough to show any faults that would need attention filling was achieved with MMD’s white putty and for those minor cracks white correction fluid.

The model is now looking rather bland and also you may notice that the rear gun mount has not yet been fitted!

Oop’s I have just knocked one of the main planes of the tail, on close examination some of the correction fluid has prevented adhesion lets hope that this doesn’t occur once the top coat is applied.

At this point I decided to place the undercarriage legs into position and dry fit the tail gun……..

Now you remember what I said about the nose weight being OK well mmmmm.

Out to the garage as I know that I have some flat lead sheet which because I need it I can’t find it, frustration sets in no I didn’t swear, hang on I had some large fishing weights these I could find so I proceed to hammer one flat this achieved there is just enough room in the nose wheel bay to place a square section.

Job done now to get ready the air brush and for this job as most of this type was bear metal I am going to use Alclad Aluminium.

Once the spraying has been completed it is always wise to let every thing dry for a few days. Now as luck would have it Airfix No.56 is almost spot on with Alclad so any touching up to be done will not be seen (I hope).The other good point with No.56 is it makes painting the canopy and other glassing blend in.

The following day I did a check to be sure all looked well and coated the whole airframe with Klear. Once dry out came the cotton buds and Pro-Modeller dark dirt this was worked into all the panel lines and left until the following evening.

Cleaning up at this stage can be time consuming but if you remember to wipe in one direction i.e. front to back on flying surface’s and around the fuselage you should be happy with the end result.

Last but not least the decals, there’s are not a lot I can say about these as all you get are the six position stars plus the 08 aircraft number in four positions all of which followed the model contours very well with the aid of Micro Sol red.


One Response to Ilyushin Il-28 Beagle

  1. luis says:

    que color es el interior del cokpit
    saludos

Leave a Reply